Mapping Interconnected Care

What I often like to do for these assignments is read the article without looking at the assignment. Really taking in what I got out of it before allowing what I read to be shaped by the assignment. ironically in this one I really resonated with how much care these teachers have for their students. From Sarah, right off the bat being so open about her identity and sexuality in a often very vulnerable setting (kids can be mean) to allow for open discussions, to the way Lee and Eli present themselves and their classroom to show a seriousness for a child's education. It was very powerful to see teachers reflect on the way they see themselves in the space but also how students see themselves in that same space.

From my knowledge as an education major this kind of care could not be taught. We weren't going to be doing our work at RIC in "cookie cutter", for the most part. So to have this care and compassion that the teachers in Restler's dissertation have is something I don't believe is necessarily taught in education courses.

The quote that stood out to me the most was "Often, basic needs and needs associated with self-actualization co- exist, and some deeply troubled children relieve their anxieties by immersing themselves in schoolwork. But, more often, needy children simply cannot concentrate well enough to learn." (p 23)  I think this is because needy children are a factor we don't take into account enough. By this I mean that we take the location where a child grew up, their family dynamic, income and things like that but are we asking ourselves if the child's basic needs of nurture and security are being met. Regardless of doing very well or doing very poorly this will be a question I look into from now on in youth spaces. 

Other than what I've experienced as a YDEV major I unfortunately don't think I've experienced this type of care discussed in this paper and as I explore internship sites it will be something on the forefront of making a decision.  

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this and how we both agreed on thing just formatted differently. Your first line "What I often like to do for these assignments is read the article without looking at the assignment. Really taking in what I got out of it before allowing what I read to be shaped by the assignment." Is a interesting way to approach an assignment and I may give it a try. I like to know a head of time what I am suppose to be looking for , but I wonder if I read it first would my reaction be different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is important to take a child's background into full account when interacting with them. This not only allows us to build bonds, but it ensures that the child's basic needs are being met so that they my be successful within the program and out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote about learn is so true and children's need to feel a part of what they are doing so it means something to them. Your blog was great to read and I like how you had the quote stand out when you were reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts