YDEV Event #1


For my first YDEV event I attended the group advising day. It was actually my first group advising meeting I had ever attended and it was my fall semester of my senior year so really, I was in a good spot. What was nice about this was it allowed me to meet other YDEV majors and talk to them! I talked to two new students to the program. One who had just recently made the switch and wasn’t fully submerged in YDEV yet. I looked through their classes with them and checked out their plan of study to ease their mind that they were on the right track! Second, I met a freshmen who was starting off with YDEV right off the bat. I thought that was so awesome because that often doesn’t happen with our major. They were really nice but still hesitant about YDEV. We were able to ease her mind and talk to them about how great it is, the benefits, and what they could look forward to in the future. We talked about their interests and goals and any classes that we might know of that could potentially help them develop a minor or concentration. The we were led in an ice breaker that was super fun and light. We all introduced ourselves and our concentrations or minors. It was really interesting to see what everyone was focusing in and how diverse it can be!

I connect this with our work with Ellen Silverman, we often don't get to know our class peers on a different level than just those few hours we have together. With the advising day it wasn't just about classes but I felt I really got to know others that I wouldn't normally know and discuss their interests and values. 

Comments

Popular Posts